5 Things That Actually Happened This Week and the Lessons I Learned
1. On the second official day of Christmas break . . .
both kids slept in until 8:30.
Lesson: Christmas miracles do happen!
2. We had a cookie decorating party at our house . . .
This is how my toddler handled it:
Lesson: Sprinkles make kids lose their minds.
3. I got irrationally angry at the Kidz Bop CD my 5-year-old got for Christmas . . .
Because I was trying to sing along and they change too many darn lyrics. And some of the lyrics they change for seemingly no reason, and then they don't change lyrics that probably should be changed.
Lesson: Kids are too sensitive to hear about drinkware breaking (the lyrics of Lorde's "Team" are changed from "so all the cups got broke" to "so the dishes got broke"), but getting blackout drunk is an okay subject for impressionable ears (Pitbull and Ke$ha's "Timber" lyrics remain, "let's make a night you won't remember").
4. This conversation between my husband and my 5-year-old . . .
5-year-old: Why do we always go to this movie theater? I like the other one.
Husband: I like this movie theater. It's clean, it's got nice seats, and it has big screens.
5-year-old: All movie theaters have big screens.
5. I attempted to take a nice picture of my girls in front of the tree when they were dressed up for Christmas Eve . . .
This is the best I could do:
Lesson: My kids don't care about the image of perfection I wish to present to my Facebook friends.