5 Things That Actually Happened This Week and the Lessons I Learned
1. This conversation (approximately 15 minutes after I asked my 5-year-old to put her sister's shoes away, and she said she put them away):
Me (to Toddler): I'm so proud of you for putting the See-and-Say away!
Me (to 5-year-old): Just like I'm proud of you for putting her shoes away.
5-year-old: Yeah . . . Wait what?
Me (to 5-year-old): You put your sister's shoes away, right? Like I asked you to?
5-year-old: Oh . . . um actually no.
Lesson: In the future, I will withhold positive reinforcement until I have verified the positive behavior.
2. My toddler walked into the bathroom and very sweetly laid her head on my knees . . .
while I was peeing.
Lesson: My toddler has no boundaries.
3. In the middle of a "tickle fight" with my girls, I'm pretty sure my 5-year-old bit me . . .
When I said, "Don't bite me!," her response was, "I wasn't biting you, I was sucking on your finger." Ummm . . . WTF?
Lesson: My 5-year-old is a bona fide weirdo.
4. When I asked my 5-year-old if she knows what "generous" means . . .
she said, "give-full."
Lesson: She may be weird, but she's pretty cute and smart too.
5. My husband went "Christmas shopping" and came home with an iPad. Then he used it to draw this portrait that perfectly captures our family . . .
Lesson: Well, not so much a lesson as a PSA . . . To any of my family members or friends that view this, consider this our Christmas card.